Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

Cookie of the Week::Cinnamon Snaps


Cookies.  We go through a lot of them here.  I grew up on homemade cookies (you should visit my mother over at The Cookie Lady), and I think they are the best.  Noah loves to spend time with me in the kitchen, and making cookies is one of our favorites things to do in there.  We try different recipes depending on what I have in the pantry.

Last week we tried these New Northland Cookies from my Betty Crocker Cooky Book.  They are wonderful!  They taste a little like Snickerdoodles without the Cream of Tartar.  I call them Cinnamon Snaps because it's easier to say than New Northland, and I think it's a better description of the flavor.  These aren't too very cinnamon-y because the recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies and you only use 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, but I found it to be just the right amount of Autumn.

New Northland cookies (Cinnamon Snaps)

1/2 c shortening (part butter)
1 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c cold water
2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix sugar and shortening thoroughly.  Stir in cold water.  Blend dry ingredients and add to shortening mixture.  Refrigerate for at least one hour.

Heat oven to 400.  Using your hands, roll dough into 1-inch balls.  Place on cookie sheet and flatten with fingers into 2 inch disks.  Bake 6-8 minutes until lightly brown.

**Do not over bake these!  You want them to be a little soft when you pull them out so they will be chewy.

Now, enjoy them warm with a glass of milk! 


1 comment:

  1. Your photos are lovely! I imagine your house smelled a LOT like Autumn while you baked these...you are in your element now that the season has changed from Summer to Fall :)

    Love you all!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete