Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Fresh Summer Produce

We just got back from a week-and-a-half vacation at my parents' house (more on that next week).  I was a little concerned about what our garden might look like after so many days of neglect, but when I got out this morning, I was pleasantly surprised as was Blair when he checked the bee hive and found honey!  I got busy picking, Blair got busy taking out a top bar from the hive, and Noah grabbed a shovel a dug a spectacular hole next to our solar dryer.


If you have never eaten honey straight from the comb, you are missing out on one of the true pleasures in life.


The carrots needed thinning so I pulled a couple.


These blackberries immediately became a cobbler.  They are some of the sweetest, juiciest  blackberries I've ever eaten (with very few seeds).


Zucchini!  The two largest ones will get grated down for zucchini bread.


I just knew I'd find all my broccoli in bloom when we got home.  Thankfully, none of it was!




The cobbler in my pretty new Pyrex dish.  Thanks again, Mama!

For lunch, we had steamed mashed potatoes, broccoli, and a mix of roasted vegetables which included squash, zucchini, onions, garlic (all from our garden), and bell pepper.  

There is something quite satisfying about going out into the garden in the morning (alongside a little boy all-too-eager to dig holes in the dirt), and picking the food that will be your lunch later on.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful AND organic...and provided by the Lord! Lovely photos! You are welcome, again, for the dish. Your dad and I will be expecting blackberry cobbler at our next visit :)

    Mom

    ReplyDelete