Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

A Change Up

Anyone who has ever heard my mother rattle off a recipe has also heard her immediately rattle off the list of everything in that recipe she has changed.  This is included in the Many Ways Rachel is Like Her Mother list (this list also includes using binder clips on the end of the toothpaste tube and sticking used tissues in every pocket and purse).  Two nights ago, I decided to try something different for supper.  I follow the blog Simple Bites, which encourages healthy eating as a family.  Last week one of their recipes caught my attention, and I thought I'd file it away to give it a try. I decided to try it Tuesday.  Without proper ingredients.

Butternut Squash Apple Soup

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 16 ounces cubed butternut squash, about 1 large squash
  • 1 small leek, cleaned and sliced, about 1/3 cup
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup cubed apple pieces
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced sage leaves
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
Here's what I used:

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil  I poured some in the pan until it looked right
  • 16 ounces cubed butternut squash, about 1 large squash 2 cups tough, overgrown yellow crookneck squash
  • 1 small leek, cleaned and sliced, about 1/3 cup  I have never bought a leek
  • 1 clove garlic, minced  I indiscriminately dumped in garlic powder 
  • 3/4 cup cubed apple pieces I have no idea how much apple wound up in that soup
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth  This I kept!
  • 1/2 cup water  And this!
  • 1 bay leaf    2 bay leaves
  • salt and pepper, to taste  A good bit
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup  Does the fake stuff count?
  • 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced sage leaves  I don't buy sage, and I didn't substitute anything.
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream or half and half  No heavy whipping cream, so I used 1/4 c water and 1 c powdered milk.
So as you can clearly see, I followed the recipe.  In a very "Shanna-ish" manner, of course.  It actually turned out quite well.  I can't wait to try it again when I have planned for it in advance and have what I need to make it (which means that it will, in all truth, be a completely different soup).

This photo has no relevance to this post whatsoever, except in that no post is complete unless it has a photo, and who can resist this face?

2 comments:

  1. It's Genetic! You, your mother, and your mimi! And the Little Man is saying, "You did WHAT!?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, also known as BeBoOctober 14, 2011 at 6:51 PM

    My opinion on the photo is that Little Man is bewildered at all the changes you made to that recipe...hey, I'm not THAT BAD!!!

    And so you are like your mother, and that's not a bad thing most of the time.

    And no one can resist that face...E.V.E.R.

    ReplyDelete