Notice how my "test spot" is more of a long, squiggly line in the middle of the word HIGHEST? Yeah, I need to work on my test spot skills.
I didn't really think that the sign was going to be quite enough clutter on the mantle, so I set forth to create...something. After much thought-mulling and wandering around the house with my hands behind my back, I had it! A jingle bell tree! Not only would this spruce up my mantle (pun ever-so-slightly intended), it would use up some of the 45,000 jingle bells left over from our wedding.
I promise, this is just a small fraction of them.
I spent a few minutes pulling them off of the wedding ribbon and lined them up in the shape of a tree. My plan was to stitch them on and then find a suitable hanger.
After about 10 minutes, I realized I wasn't going to get the look I wanted with the needle and thread, so I went back to my old stand-by, HG2 (hot glue gun). I seriously don't know why I even bother putting this wonder away. I'm usually dragging it back out about thirty minutes after I do.
To give the burlap more structure with the heavy bells, I added a "frame" of craft sticks to the back.
I led myself to believe that it needed a little color, so I added this red ribbon (with a crazy amount of glue) to use as a hanger.
Annnnnd we're getting there! The burlap is very similar in color to the board where I hung it up, so I may go back and add a little something more.
I have also begun to play that favorite game of Mary Poppins, "Let's Tidy up the Nursery." Except that this is not a nursery, and with no Mary Poppins here, I'm sadly unable to accomplish my task by merely snapping my fingers.